Friday, June 1, 2012

The Food Decision and Why I'm an Old Fart

Apparently, I've learned the art of the tease.  My faithful readers have been begging to know what the food decision is (and by faithful readers, I mean 2 people have asked me).

I actually feel a bit bad since it's feeling more and more like a bait and switch.  Regardless, here goes, and hopefully this donkey crap doesn't get too long.

Since this is bound to be preachy, I'll be sure and give you a good old ALL CAPS when the food decision is done so you can avoid the pointless ramblings of an out of touch 31 year old.

When I originally went down this path of veg, my decision was based on a lot of things.  Health being one (I stand behind the idea that our Ford factory food system is doing very bad things to Us, Animals, and our Planet), but also this crazy hippy idea that my Vote counts.

I just can't get past how much I love the idea that every time I choose to eat the way I do, I'm voting with my dollar.

Saying that, my decision was also made with an idea that if and when I could afford to eat meat that was raised and produced in the way I feel it should be, I'd be back.

It wasn't that I was really breaking up with meat, we were just taking a break (No, no, I'm totally into you, it's just bad timing).

Well, my monster food decision is I've decided that my "out" just crapped the bed.

A few influencing facts

1)  I honest to John Elway feel better
2)  It's so much cheaper
3)  I'd love to be able to teach my kid(s) that it's not only possible, but prosperous to your body and wallet

I also feel like I owe some of you a bit of an apology.

To all those that I've put through the ringer about eating meaty things I used to love (in front of me).  My bad.  Bad form.  I screwed the pooch.

Just like a dude, I have to write half a page to apologize for being a horses A#$ for harping at you while you enjoyed delicious flank steak, buffalo chicken wings, and cheeseburgers with bacon and a fried egg on top (if you haven't tried it, DO).

I plan on making a real effort to end that nonsense.

So yeah, the "huge" food decision is that at this point I'm (finally) all in veg.

ALL CAPS

I've also been torn about if I should or shouldn't write about my experience watching the finale of American Idol.

The problem is I know I'm going to offend someone, or many someones.

Selfishly though, I have to get some things off my chest.

And yes, this is where I feel like an old fart because I finally feel like my parents, you know, yearning for the good old music days and bragging about the artistry of Simon & Garfunkel or The Carpenters.

More and more I'm finding myself feeling out of touch with society, but nothing drives this point home more than watching the finale of American Idol.

They always have these chart topping bands on, and most of the time I've never heard of them (I can just picture my Dad with his jaw on the floor hearing MC Hammer for the first time and saying).

"You call this music"???

See, I have a REAL hard time understanding why these dudes are "singing" with boxes over their heads.

This "band" is called LMFAO


Unfortunately for me, Idol decided that LMFAO would be a little too tame for the finale, and they had to one up their own dang selves.

The show started innocently enough with one of those cheesy group numbers, or what I like to call the crap songs that made some greedy white dude decide "This is so cool I could make a whole show out of it".

And that boys and girls is why we have to stomach shows like Glee and Smash.

Idol then begged those Mayan gods to actually end the world by "honoring" one of the contestants and letting him share a duet with his inspiration, a previous winner of Idol, Fantasia.

Just so you can enjoy the horror of it, a bit of history.

Fantasia when she won

Singing with a church choir will help me win American Idol
                                                
Fantasia on the finale

I find the simplicity of this game amusing.  Bring me your finest meats and cheeses
                                                    
Other than repeating over and over in my head "Great Googily Moogily", I couldn't help but notice the uncanny resemblance to one of the worst movies ever made.  I give you Battlefield Earth (and desperately hope that she called Joshua a "Man Animal").

You Man Animals better forget that I ever made this movie
                                                    
The sad thing though was that the "singers" decided that a singing show would be the wrong place to sing, so they just screamed at each other for about 4 minutes (seriously).  Fantasia became so excited with her singing that her pants actually ripped (look at the photo...that is not a pants "slit").

Anything you can scream I can scream louder, I can scream anything louder than you
                                        
It was all down hill from there.  Idol also loves bringing out older "musicians" for cameos, and you know for a fact they can't sing anymore, and they most definitely should not be wearing what they are.

Shaka Kahn

Does this outfit make me look like humpty dumpty?
                                        
Neil Diamond

The muscles in my face have not moved for over 7 years, and yes, it smells like a corpse
                                        
Not to be outdone, we also had some breath stopping performances from some recent artists.

Rhianna tried her best to kill all Epileptics

Strobe lights make my voice sound sexy
                                                
Selena thought she was singing on Telemundo and "sung" in Spanish

Criss Cross Makes You Wanna Jump...Jump
                                                 
And then what can only be described as some sort of face distortionist

REDRUM REDRUM
                                         
The worst performance of the night clearly went to Aerosmith.  What year do you think Stephen Tyler thinks it is?  He couldn't even stand up straight, let alone sing.

I'm literally touching my own brain
                                         
I'm honestly suprised that Idol didn't try and craft some crazy Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, holograph performance.

Too Soon?
                                          
All that said, Phillip Phillips won, which makes me happy (especially since I predicted it from his audition).

So it ends (and so, so sorry that this was so long).

Since my last tease was so successful, here we go again.

Stay tuned for some RGD goodies, and could this blog become Chaos on Coronado?

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh the big reveal! Well it definitely didn't disappoint. Still interesting to know your thought process.

    My biggest problem with idol is that each episode is soooo loooong.

    I like that I already know what the next tease is about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like it when Tyler posts crazy veg thoughts and American Idol rants! We are praying BIG time that this blog becomes Chaos on Coronado...or something besides Canal :)

      Delete
    2. Ladies,

      Check out these articles (related to the food decision).

      I thought it was crazy timing with the latest post.

      http://ruhlman.com/2012/05/why-its-ethical-to-eat-meat/

      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/magazine/the-ethicist-contest-winner-give-thanks-for-meat.html?_r=1

      Maybe I need to reconsider...haha.

      Tyler

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete