Monday, January 24, 2011

Rilyn Grace Decker in Words - Part 2


The arrival of Rilyn Grace Decker:

Our due date came and passed as expected, and we were anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new baby.  On January 20th we went to our 40 week appointment, with the expectation that they would say see you in a week.  However, my blood pressure was high (for the first time) and so we did some lab tests and sent those off.  Since it was likely I was developing preeclampsia the midwife suggested we sweep my membranes (manually separating the amniotic sac from the cervix) to see if we could get things moving more naturally because if the lab results came back that I was developing preeclampsia we would risk out of the birth center and immediately be sent to the hospital for an induction.  

Obviously this was pretty devastating, but we decided to make the best of it while we waited, and went to treat ourselves to dinner with Tyler’s sister, Stacey.  Around 7:30 that night we got the call that all but one of the tests came back fine and if the baby passed a Non-Stress Test we would be good for now.  So, we went back to the birth center and the baby passed the test with flying colors.  

We went back home and went to sleep as we would any other night.  At 11:30 PM I started having pretty consistent contractions that were about 15 – 20 minutes apart.  I was able to sleep in between them, and they weren’t at all unbearable.  By 1:30 AM they had progressed to about 10 minutes apart and I couldn’t lay in bed any longer so I woke up Tyler to help me.  He still wasn’t quite convinced we were actually in labor, but I definitely knew I was.   

We started timing contractions and for the most part I wanted to labor on the couch on my side.  As the morning went on they got stronger, longer, and closer together.  We used many techniques we had learned in our Bradley classes, but I was amused that for the most part laying on my side with an ice pack on my back wrapped in a blanket was all I needed.  At 6:00 AM Tyler went to get some sleep while his sister timed the contractions and helped me feel comfortable.  Tyler was able to sleep for about an hour, which was great and actually during that time I was able to sleep in between my contractions, which were about 5 – 7 minutes apart.  I think that little sleep we got was critical in helping us get through the rest of the labor.  

At 7:30 AM I was ready for some breakfast as I had an appetite during the labor.  I called my best friend Kristin who was planning on helping us out during the labor and had her come over and bring breakfast.  Unfortunately for me, I definitely entered active labor and no longer had time to eat in between contractions and needed to focus my energy completely on getting through them.  By 9:00 I was convinced it was time to head to the birth center.  My contractions were not consistently 3 minutes apart for 1 minute for a full hour, but it was very close to that, and my body was telling me it was time to go.  Tyler called the midwife who I am certain did not think it was time, but I convinced everyone it was time to go by using some very interesting phrases and threats.  

Driving to the birth center was a little hectic since I was feeling the urge to push, which scared everyone into thinking we might not make it there in time.  When we arrived at the birth center the midwife checked me and I was 9 cm, so it was definitely time to go!  I got comfortable in the tub and they started me on an antibiotic for my strep B.  

I ended up pushing for an hour and a half, which although was the most difficult part of the labor went by really fast.  The midwife was awesome in making sure that I was trying different positions and only pushing as needed so I didn’t wear out.  She also helped motivate me as I remember saying, “is it working?” over and over.  I just didn’t think I was making any progress.  Once we could see Rilyn’s head I was all business and got her out in a few pushes.  Tyler was awesome supporting me physically and mentally.  

Rilyn was born at 11:55 AM on January 21st, weighs 7.45 ounces and is 21 inches long.

I got to hold Rilyn immediately and Tyler was the one to see if it was a boy or girl.  We didn’t clamp the cord for at least 45 minutes.  We just hung out with our new baby as I was being checked over.  The next couple of hours was the hardest as I didn’t handle post-partum well.  I ended up fainting twice and needing 2 shots of Pitocin to stop my bleeding and 2 bags of IV fluids to stop the fainting.  Tyler, Stacey, and Kristin took care of Rilyn during this time.  It was really hard for me because I just wanted to take care of my new baby.  While they were giving me the IV fluids, I was able to breastfeed Rilyn.  She took to it like a champ and is way better at it than her mommy.  I have a lot to learn still and this has been probably the most difficult adjustment for us.

We were able to be home by 6:00 that evening, and spent our first night together in the comfort of our home.  It was awesome!  We are adjusting to the demanding needs of a newborn and getting into a routine.  Tyler has done nothing but cater to me and make sure I am healing well.  I feel great considering I just gave birth and I think it is due to a healthy pregnancy and non-medicated labor.  Rilyn holds her head up and even looks around.  It is amazing to see what a baby that is born without medication can do.  Of course maybe it was all that dang protein I had to eat during my pregnancy!

Rilyn is awesome and we can’t imagine being without her for a second.  And right now we don’t plan on it.  We are going to hold and snuggle her all day for as long as she will let us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment