Monday, January 31, 2011

We Were Almost Rich

It was so close I could taste it.  I already had about half of the 10.5 million we should have won spent.

It started on Rilyn's birthday.  A couple hours after birth the nurse was getting ready to weigh her and asked if I had a guess.  Out of no where, I say 7 pounds, 4 ounces.

Her weight?  7 pounds, 4.5 ounces (who cares about a half an ounce).

2 days later at the 2 day appointment the midwife takes her to weigh her again.  I look at Anna and say 6, 14.

Her weight?  6 pounds, 14 ounces.

5 days after that, at her 1 week appointment, Anna and I decide it is time to tempt fate.  The midwife takes her to weigh her, and just to make sure, I went with her.  Right before she puts her on the scale I say 7, 11.

Her weight?  7 pounds, 11 ounces.

At this point I came to the only possible reasonable explanation.  I could in fact see the future.  I spent about 5 minutes debating how I could use this gift to better mankind, but ultimately decided to buy a lottery ticket.

In a cruel twist of fate (most likely a punishment for my selfishness), we did not win the lottery, and my gift seems to have vanished.

A couple other random thoughts about the last week and half or so...

1)  You know in Karate Kid 1 when the Cobra-Kai's decide the only way they could take down Larusso was to "Sweep the Leg"?  That phrase has been on repeat mode in my head, only Leg has been replaced by Membrane.  Yes, I just compared our beginning stages of labor to Karate Kid 1.

2)  I made no bones about my intense desire for my first child to be a boy.  When we first saw the equipment of our newborn (and because newborns equipment tends to be enlarged), Anna even initially thought it was boy.  It was not to be as there was no frank, but honestly, I can't begin to describe how pumped I am about having a daughter?  Suprised?  You should be, but meditate on this.

We all know that first born girls tend to be motherly, thus aiding her mama with future children.

She was 21 inches long.  That's frackin long.  She's going to be tall and beating down ill intentioned boys.

She could hold her head up at birth.  That means strong enough that boys won't want to mess.

First born girls also tend to be responsible.  Responsible ladies don't dabble in the dark arts.

3)  At birth, one of the first things that I noticed was how big her hands and feet looked, but specifically how long her little fingers were.  Seriously, take a look at the picture below.  Can't you just picture her saying "Excellent my pretties"!




In all seriousness, I couldn't be happier.  We've got a beautiful, healthy baby that makes us smile every minute.  I've been looking forward to being a Dad for a long time, and so far everything from pregnancy through our first week and half with Rilyn has blown away any of my wildest dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Ry and I laughed our entire breakfast reading through this! "Excellent my pretties!"

    We love that sweet baby girl and her long gangly fingers!

    ReplyDelete