Saturday, June 11, 2011

Our trip to Montana - Part 2 (The Ranch)

Rilyn got to visit my grandparent's ranch for the first time while we were home.  Obviously it didn't mean much to her (yet), but that place has some amazing memories for me.
Do you  have that one place where the moment you step foot there your breathing slows down, time slows down, and you just feel at peace?  Well, that is what it feels like when I go to my grandparent's ranch.  It always has....really I'm pretty sure I was meant to be a country girl.  I could (and did) spend lots and lots of time up there.

I'm not sure what it is that I love so much about the place.  It is an extremely weird place for a vegetarian to love.  I mean they are cattle ranchers!  Regardless of that fact, here are a few things I love about my grandparent's place....

1) My grandma's house smells delicious....it smells like my grandma working in the kitchen while I sit on the spinning bar stool watching her (and probably bugging her).

2) At night, it is the quietest and darkest place around.  It seems like you are the only people in the world.

3) There are always a lot of animals to admire, touch, and care for.

4) Lunch is ususally the biggest meal with breakfast following a close second.  It was so hard for me to sleep in when I was little knowing everyone and thing around me was up and moving and my grandma was busy getting a delicious breakfast ready.

5) My two uncles and their families live and work on their land close by so you usually get visitors throughout the day.

6) What little kid doesn't want to ride in the tractor with their grandpa or uncles?

7) I swear the sun shines more brightly and smiles.

8) There is nothing like spending Christmas day with the prettiest Christmas tree, a fire, and a picturesque view of the mountains...yep probably a little slice of heaven.

9) My grandma always had JCPenny's catalogs in her china hutch, which I would go through and pick out the nursery furniture and decorations for my future twin's room.  Of course, my sister and I would fight over who had the best rooms for their babies :)

10) You can walk out the front door and be alone....and that is really nice sometimes!

11) It has all the memories of my mom and her brothers being little.

12) My grandma always has orange push-ups from Schwann's in her deep freeze.

13) You can ride horses or 4 wheelers, you can climb trees or fences, you can roll, slide, or sled down hills......

So, I could apparently keep going, but I think you get the point.  Here are some pictures from Rilyn's first visit.  I hope she gets to experience some of the things I have experienced and has many treasured memories of her great-grandparent's ranch!

Hanging with great grandma....Rilyn looks huge

Meeting cousin Morgan




Meeting a horse for the first time....all she wanted to do was put the horse in her mouth


Next time we are riding the horse!

Meeting Uncle Allen for the first time

Some baby birds we couldn't see but I could reach my camera up there and capture them

#14) Sunsets

#15 Trees...glorious huge trees

My grandma's dog Tootsie wanted to come home with us....obviously she doesn't know how good she has it

#16 My grandma's HUGE garden
Oh and my grandparents are getting ready to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in July.  We are all going to be back for that and can't wait to celebrate with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment